Wednesday 1 May 2013

'Toastmasters' & 'No chemistry there' - by P.S.



Toastmasters
                           by P.S.

One of the most rewarding clubs I have joined has been Toastmasters International.

When I was in my fifties I enrolled as an extra-mural student through Massey University.

I enjoyed the units for English Literature but when I reached Level 3 I realised I would have to deliver my paper to the class. How I hated standing up in front of a group. I always dodged being a president of any club – secretary, yes; treasurer, yes; but definitely not president. My knees would wobble, my palms sweat and words disappeared.

Larcina, my friend, was president of a local Toastmasters Club and, knowing my terror of public speaking, persuaded me to join her club.

The one-minute impromptu speech known as Table Topics was a baptism by fire. I held the floor for the whole 60 seconds! What a triumph!

Since then I have stepped up as president of another Toastmasters Club.

One of my greatest pleasures and rewards has been to watch other people overcome their fear of public speaking, move forward in their careers and make new friends.


No chemistry there

                                        by P. S.

Sarah moved on to the next chair. Mmm . . . not her type but she animated and fluttered for the required time.

“Move on!”

Ah: he looks promising: number 3 haircut, clean-cut features and a well-pumped body.

“Do yous like league?”

No chemistry there.

She saw Cheryl across the table. Their locked eyes and shook their heads.

After the time was up they had a drink at the pub.

“I think I’ll stick with my horse.”

“Yes,” replied Cheryl. “I’ll stay with my moggie.”

What do you bet, though, that they’ll go back next week?

No comments:

Post a Comment