Wednesday 1 May 2013

My horses - by E.B. aged 14



My horses 

                        by E.B. aged 14

Chapter 1

My horse reared up, excitement and nerves overwhelming him. We steered into the starting gate. My blood pounded in my ears and my mount pawed the ground.

Three . . . Two . . .One . . .GO!

I dug my heels into his side and we surged forward out of the gate. The first jump approached fast and I pulled back on the reins. My horse ignored my cue to slow down, instead throwing himself over the jump. I stood in my stirrups, breathing hard. The crowd fell behind as we dispersed into the horizon, another jump cleared, then a ditch.

It was just me and him now, the perfect partnership. Together we were one.

My chest burned but I ignored it, slowing the horse down for a combination. My boy cleared the combination and galloped onwards . . . Clear. Clear. Clear. We were almost there and making good time. I could see the crowd now and they were cheering. The finish flags were so close, almost there!

I reined in the horse and we both almost collapsed. He was dripping with sweat and his knees were buckling.

I hugged him, thanking him before handing his reins over so he could be cooled down.

I fell into a chair and took off my helmet. Showjumping next. We could do this.


Chapter 2

I squirmed as fluid was pushed through my IV line into my veins. I had always known I’d end up here, but not so soon. I closed my eyes and went over what I had done so many times in my mind.

We were flying, soaring high over ditches, logs and banks. The horse beneath me panted but carried on willingly. She groaned, heaving herself over another jump – higher, higher than we had ever gone before.

“Come on girl. Almost there.”

I urged her on into a gallop. I could feel her tiring but pressed her onwards. The first jump loomed. In the distance a hedge cut into a ring. We had to make it through that ring. We could do this. I put all my trust in my animal, my best friend. She launched herself up, up . . . and then fell. She didn’t have the energy for that last leap.

The last thing I remember is falling and the realisation that we were not going to make it. Then there was impact. Then nothing.

The nurse told me I had been in a self-induced coma for three weeks. The doctors puzzled over why I would not wake up. Only when they told me what had become of my beloved animal did I truly understand.

I pushed her too hard. She had run her heart out for me and yet I still asked more of her. It was my fault. All my fault.

Without her, I would never be whole. I would never live again like I had lived with her by my side.

I closed my eyes and said goodbye.

Chapter 3

There was a new filly waiting for me when I got home from the hospital. She was gorgeous. A blue-grey Appaloosa with large brown eyes.

But I didn’t want a new horse. I wanted my old girl back. But she was never coming back Her stall was empty, her truck had a fine layer of dust.

I didn’t ever want to ride again,

“Just give her a chance,” Mum said as we entered the house.

“I don’t want her.”

“She’s purebred, ready to be broken.”

It was clear Mum was trying her hardest, but it was in vain. I would never ride again.

Days passed and I grew gradually stronger though all I wanted was to die. At least then I could be with her and ride with her for ever.

I lay in my bed, tossing and turning. The nickering of the horses was normally soothing but all it did now was bring back painful memories.

This wasn’t working. I just couldn’t live without my horses. Collecting my jacket I went outside. The filly was in a pen. I realised she was wild – typical of Mum to buy a wild, unhandled horse to ‘cheer me up’.

It worked!

The filly approached cautiously. She snorted and I blew on her muzzle.

I had been working with her for three days and she had started to trust me. I reached out a hand and gently laid it on her neck.

For the first time since the accident I smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment